Why a creator never sees what is brilliant

I made a comment on some art over at Flimsy Cups a couple months back.  But tonight I am sitting here thinking about my work.

You see I cant paint, I cant sing, I don't play a musical instrument.  But when it comes to colour and layout for web pages I see things that others don't.  That has made me a lot of money in the past.  I am very good at it, but.  I get performance anxiety every time I do a job.

For example I do a job for a customer, I know it feels right, that it flows the way it should, that the customer experience will be calming and fluent.  But I worry.  I worry that no one will like it, that the site owner will look at other sites and see theirs doesn't add up.   Now this has never happened but I wonder how long this skill I have can keep going before I get it wrong, or it doesn't work ?

I genuinely believe what I do is a form of art, and therefore as the creator I see flaws that others don't. Going forward I don't know If I will continue to do these one off jobs for people.  Yes they make me some money but I am wondering how long till everyone else can see the flaws I do.

Thanks Mr Bartlam, I did enjoy the artwork

Comments

  1. As long as they're paying the flaws are only a philosophical issue. You can use there bread to strive for the perfect layout.

    Thanks for mention and especially the praise. I'll paint every couple of months...and usually I have two maybe three in me. Then it's all garbage.

    I see the flaws first too but, if I can reach a point where the qualities outwiegh the flaws...I stop.

    Of course, I'm not entirely certain what I'm doing is really art...in the high sense. Again though...thanks for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problems mate I did enjoy looking through them, I actually envy people who can express themselves like you do. In the end who cares if its ever hung in an art gallery on the other side of the world. After all isn't art about the process and expression. Not many rich painters lol.

    As for me, I think im getting a thicker skin to those who criticise, my work, but doesn't stop you having those moments of doubt. After all even the big web designers get it wrong at times

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How do Dragons Die

Will his effect die with him?