Linux I stand Corrected A real Windows Alternative

Well after the last couple of posts about Linux and Windows, I now stand corrected.  I have found an alternative package that as a desktop ticks 99% of the buttons.

Although technically not Linux but Unix, Desktop BSD rocks.  Had avoided using it because it was desktop orientated and because it wasn't supported by the software vendor.  Out of frustration today I decided to download it and see if it truly lived up to the hype of a windows alternative.

Well I have had it installed for a couple hours now, and have found it amazingly simple to use and get used to.  It has some pretty cool desktop abilities that blow windows into the weeds.  Multi-desktop, and some cool visual aids make it a pleasant place to be.

A lot of distro's don't quite get the video resolution thing right but they have with this. The install manager for software is great, easy to use and it lets you download packages with ease. Everything worked straight out of the box, no updating everything so that web browsing works. Berkley who make the BSD product have been working on it for decades now and this latest release of a desktop orientated release is not only refreshing but it gives one faith that there is someone out there who can really match it with windows.


I like it a lot, and I am contemplating giving it a go in the longer term, and use my windows based laptop for those programs that there are no linux alternatives for.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How do Dragons Die

Will his effect die with him?