The Pitfalls Of Buying A Second Hand Euro

Recently my partner was in the market for a car, after owning two Jap imports (both now not running), he was looking for something that would be economical, that wasn't a Hyundai and he had a total budget of around $4K.  We looked around for a couple of weeks and we ended up at a local Auto action house.  Several cars we were interested in sold or passed in at a far higher value than we could afford.

The last car on our list was a Renault Scenic 2004 2 Ltr.  To make a long story short, we bid against one other and once it was on the market got it for a reasonable $3K and a little bit.  We took it for a Road Worthy Certificate it only needed front rubber.  We brought it home had another good going over, found the service books and some of the service history.

My partner cleaned it from top to bottom and I set about getting everything I needed to service the car.  Now this is where the trap can be.  We noticed during our checks that one of the pencil coils had been changed, and decided we should change all of them just as a matter of course.  We went to our local Renault dealer and nearly feinted when we found out they were nearly $300 each and we needed 4.  The car had developed a misfire as well so it was becoming urgent to get the coils.  To work out which coils we needed I had to remove one from the car.  What did I find?  Water down around the plug and coil, so I promptly removed each coil and plug and let them dry out.  The misfire vanished but I still wanted all the coils replaced.  Went online found a company in the UK that did all 4 coils for $70.00 delivered.

Fast forward to yesterday, we decided to service the car.  Now 99% of all cars have a bolt in the sump.  The Renault does not it has a 8mm square key.  We searched the whole town looking for one.  The only one we could get was in a kit and the wanted $99.00 for it.  My partner was prepared to pay for it, but I said no.  I dropped online again and checked with the Renault Australia page, most people actually made one out of bolts or something similar.  I ended up getting a short 3/8 drive ratchet extension and an angle grinder to make the Key.  Took about 15 minutes, worked the charm, the plug was so tight I had to use and extender bar and a full body push to crack it open.  It didnt slip or anything so I made the perfect tool.  Including the angle grinder it cost $30.00

Buying a euro out of warranty certainly has its pitfalls, like the fact that the local dealer can offer parts at nearly 6 times the cost I can get them delivered.  It also amazes me that one socket could end up costing nearly $100 if you didn't know any different. 

I have learned a valuable lesson during all of this and that is to research online before you attempt anything on an import like this.  We have literally saved thousands on service costs by getting the parts online.  We are looking at a clutch kit next and I can get one here delivered for the same price I can get a Ford Clutch.. Crazy I know.  What I want to know is when these car companies are going to realize that we the people can now buy online so your inflated prices will mean no sales.  Corporate Greed

The best part of all of this is that we have a Euro standard car that is refined quick and something different,  those who have owned a euro will agree they are something special even second hand. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How do Dragons Die

Will his effect die with him?