The use of Prescription Medication

I for one am a heavy user of prescription medications, 6 years ago I was diagnosed with a serious medical condition.  It means I take 7 different medications daily and it will be that way for the rest of my life.  On top of that have two other medications that I take on an as needed basis.

Up until I became ill I hated medications hated even taking antibiotics, even then I wouldn't take the whole course (yes I know that's a bad thing to do).  The medications I take are expensive, and if it wasn't for the PBS scheme I would not be able to afford them.  One medication is over $250.00 a packet.  I go through one of those every 10 days.  Now there is a frightening cost.

Anyway what i wanted to talk about was medication addiction.  I have an addiction to one of my medications that means that I must take that daily regardless of if I would need it.  Now this isn't a bad thing, and my doctor has said he would prefer this situation than me not having the drug.  Now this leaves me with a question, does this make me a drug addict ?  The two medications I take as needed are also highly addictive, yet I am not addicted to those or their effects.

I really question at times if my life would be simpler if not shorter without these medications.  At times when I don't feel well or the world is getting me down, I look at the pile of medications and say why do I bother.  I don't have kids, nor am I ever likely to, I only have a small group of people who genuinely care about me, so so what if I got off the medications.  The only person I am hurting in that case is me right ?

Anyway just wondered what others thought, the medications are working most days, just getting to the end of my tether and wondering if there is another way, or if over time more and more medications will be needed to keep me alive.  I genuinely frightened by the fact that I have an addiction to a drug, and im frightened as my condition deteriorates over time that my med intake will increase.  My poor Kidneys and Liver take a hiding maybe that's what will kill me in the end.

If anyone else has any similar experiences would be much appreciated if you could leave a comment.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How do Dragons Die

Will his effect die with him?