Changing Cars

Not the most in depth post ever but, considering I try to do this often. I do know quite a bit about it.

I have owned a lot of cars in my life but have loved very few of them.  Two cars stand out for me but for two completely different reasons.

First of the stand outs was a Ford AUIII TS50 Tickford Falcon.   I got this brand new and in black,  It was an amazing car, so damn quick it make your head snap back and forward as you went from braking to acceleration.  5.7Ltr Injected V8 last of the Windsor engines in Australia.  I loved it, you really had a road presence, overtaking could be terrifying should you plant the right foot to hard.  From 80Kms/hr to 140Kims/hr was done in under a car length.  With the manualised automatic it was something to be feared.  I had owned a HSV before hand and it was a complete bucket of crud in comparison.  The Ford ate it in every important category.  Had quite a few mates who were Holden fans through and through, they bagged the hell out of me about the car.  Took one of these guys for spin out in the windy stuff.  On the way back to town afterwards he says "Only one problem with this car.... It has the wrong badge one it " Was unfortunately forced to hand it back when I got unwell.

The second car is an exact opposite. I had a 2009 Suzuki Swift 5 speed 5 door.  Completely different car, and I can tell you normally I would never have brought a car in that class.  My mind was changed however when I had to hire a car to drive south to see my ailing father.  Not having tons of cash I hired a Hyundai Getz with unlimited kms.  7000kms later I was very surprised at how well it did the trip and how nice it was to drive.  Now please don't get me wrong here, I don't particularly like the getz but it changed my ideas about small cars.

Later in that year I was financially able to look at getting a new car, I test drove about everything in its class, and the swift was the stand out.  I did nearly 40,000kms in that car before I was forced to sell it, and every km was a pleasure.  I would buy another one tomorrow if the chance arose.  It was quite refined and very quick for a small car.  Took three adults down south and back no worries, and fuel economy was awesome.  The day the car was sold I cried, I certainly didn't want it to end there, but it had to I had a promise to keep.

Now I am getting rid of the car I was forced to buy off my mum after dad died.  It should be repaired and ready for sale within the next month.  I will be happy to see it go, primarily because I never ever really wanted it.  I cant look at the car without seeing my late father, and its wearing on me.

So what next in the great chain of cars, looking at a 4x4 I haven't been to central Australia in nearly 10 years and I miss it.  Not a place for a family car.  Looking at three different cars.  Landrover Discovery, Jeep Wrangler or Jeep Cherokee (Liberty in the USA).  Most likely be the Cherokee, don't have a heap to spend but should be a pretty close to even cost to change the car over.

So any one else looking at getting a new car ?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How do Dragons Die

Will his effect die with him?