I feel a wee scotch .

Hmm.  Now as anyone who knows me will tell you, I have a bit of a weak spot for the brown spirit that is Scotch.  But a bit more than that, if its a single malt, made by the ocean, and aged accordingly I will consume it with a pleasure that is nearly unnatural.

So today, we are at the liquor store and I came across these.






They were well presented and a good mixture of labels.  The bottles are small, just enough for a couple drinks.  On the rocks of course, no mixers here.

Bottles as follows:


Glenkinchie Aged 12 Years.

Bright Gold, the nose aromatic and flowery overall, like breathing in a country garden. Vanilla and fresh citrus notes.  Light bodied. A sweet, scented, creamy taste, with lemon cheesecake and floral notes, smoothly giving way to a drying herbal finish with a soft and mellow afterglow.

Dalwhinnie Aged 15 Years

A crisp dry and very aromatic nose with hints of heather and peat. Golden, light to medium bodied. Smooth and last flavours of heather, honey sweetness and vanilla followed by deeper citrus-fruits and hints of malted bread, lead to a lingering surprisingly intense finish with smoke and malt.  Great chilled 

Oban  Aged 14 Years

Rich sweetness and citrus fruits on the nose, with sea salt and peaty smokiness.  Full gold, rich bodied, a mouth filling palate packed with the late autumn fruits, dried figs and honey sweet spices followed by a long, smooth sweet finished with an appealing smoky, malty dryness and a grain of salt. Delicious

Lagavulin Aged 16 Years

Deep amber gold. An intense, peat-rich, smoky nose with iodine, seaweed and a deep sweetness. Full, rich bodied. Dry peat smoke fills the palate with a gentle but strong sweetness, followed by salty flavours  and hints of wood.  A long elegant peat filled finishes with lots of salt and seaweed.  Majestic Malt


Talisker Aged 10 Years

A powerful smoky-sweet and sea-salt nose with malt flavours and a developing warmth.  Brilliant gold, full bodied.  On the palate, a rich dried-fruit sweetness with clouds of smoke and strong barley-malt flavours.  Huge and long, warming, peppery finish with an appetizing sweetness.  Unmistakably great

Cragganmore Aged 12 Years

Complex, sweet and fragrant nose floral scents, riverside herbs and flowers with some honey and vanilla.  Golden, firm, rounded, light to medium body.  A malty taste with hints of sweet wood smoke and sandalwood.  A long malt-driven finish with a light smoke and delicate hints of sweetness.  Elegant style


I am seriously going to enjoy drinking these,  will break the seal on one tomorrow night with the housewarming.

Hope I at least informed you a little about true Scotch Whisky, the single malt variety






Comments

  1. You got yer work cut out for you there.

    My thing was bourbon...sippin' whiskey...but I haven't had a drink for years now. No official policy, I just haven't for years.

    Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cracked the first one tonight and it was more than a pleasant experience. I so love non blended Scotch has a taste that is unique to where it is made. Not blended to make a formula.

      To me its a total luxury item, not something I can afford often. The only thing missing was two Cuban cigars to help it all go down..

      Delete
  2. Raising a glass from across the pond, its a gin and tonic, never could drink whiskey

    Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh Gin & tonic, haven't had one of them in years, I do remember getting rather sick after probably 10 more than I should have. The thing is I find white spirits even Vodka makes me into a violent drunk. So avoid it like the plague. Which is a shame because some of the premixed combinations sound really nice to drink.

      Delete
  3. Good selection. Dalwhinnie is gorgeous stuff, and Lagavulin is one of my all time favourites. Dunno how much of a peat fiend you are, but if you haven't tried it I can't recommend Ardbeg's malts enough, especially the Uigeadail, which might just be the nicest malt I've ever tasted. Also, if you spy a bottle around, Penderyn, the only Welsh single malt is stunning stuff, especially the madeira cask version, which has a depth of rich molasses sweetness I've never encountered in any other whisky.

    Shame about the no gin drinking though, I recently discovered Saffron gin and have become slightly hooked...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like some interesting drinking in that list. Im sure over the next year I will be able to secure a bottle of each of those to drink my cares away.

      The no white alcohol thing sort of manifested itself into two or three nasty incidents where I was lucky not to be locked up or charged with assault and battery. So since those days I haven't been game to drink it.

      Thanks for dropping by

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How do Dragons Die

Will his effect die with him?